Thursday, May 31, 2007


While stuck in Dharan, Nepal I was fortunate to meet this family who took me in for the night, fed me, spoke with me, and genuinely just wanted to be friendly to the ONLY foreigner in town!

The morning I went to this Buddhist temple in Kathmandu was the start of a 8-Game winning streak for the Tigers...I am now a Buddhist

Holy men of a Hindu Temple...the absolute worst people in India...exploiting religion to make money and exploit tourists

From a peak above Gokyo's 5th lake...hell of a climb, but well worth the amazing view of Gokyo Valley, Lakes, and Glaciers

View from Gokyo Ri at Sunrise (6:00Am)

Me and the Mountains from Dole at Sunset

My time spent in the mountains was 23 of the hardest days of my life. My knees ached, my back felt like it were to give out at any time, and though my feet held up pretty well they took took a beat down. I trekked and traveled with some amazing people whom I will never forget, and have made friendships with a number of people that I truly hope to stay in contact with and continue to get to know. And its funny, the reason I originally planned this trip was to see Everest Base Camp and yet I only spent a couple hours there and in no way was it the highlight of the trip, that just tells you not how disappointing base camp was, because it wasn't, but rather how unexpectedly amazing everything else was!

So now I'm in Darjeeling, been here for a few days, it is basically India-lite so I am able to stand it. I have changed my ticket so that I won't leave upper India till the 6th, giving me a few days to go up into Sikkim which is a restricted area since it borders both Tibet and Bhutan. But I was able to land a permit for 15 days and I'll head up tomorrow I think to see the monastaries and hopefully go to some hot springs without having to trek there. Either way it should be relaxing and hopefully further away from India's pollution, horns, and touts.

Me after 23 Days on the trail, before my Nepali haircut, massage, and beard trim which by the way was all done with "Teacher Scissors" and a basic comb

Something I saw at a park yesterday I liked, the other was "All the Joy this world contains has come from wishing happiness for others - All the Misery this world contains has come from wishing pleasure for ourselves", this pretty much sums up buddhism as it is suppose to be.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tim..
Its your sister.. These pictures are so cool and i cant wait to see more!! It makes me want to go thier and maybe some day i will.. Be safe amd cant wait till u come home :)
Love ya.

1:25 PM

 
Blogger bubbad said...

awesome man! looks like you are having a great time! Make sure you research interesting new beer additives!

2:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim - The pictures are spectacular and I am glad that you are being taken care of by people around the world. There are great and loving people everywhere and you will find them because you are great and loving. Love you - Mom

10:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the beard! I read all your entries today and already it seems you have had an amazing journey. Godspeed!

Jillian

7:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home